Saturday, July 24, 2010

Riley Addison Fitzgibbon makes her arrival

The newest addition to our family has finally made her arrive. Riley Addison has finally arrived and we couldn't be happier. We were starting to think she was never going to come but when she was ready she was ready. July 17th was her due date but that came and nothing was happening. We set up an induction date and thought we would be stuck waiting until the 21st but suddenly on the 19th she had a change of plans. We had a pretty busy day with a trip to the playground and an afternoon at the pool. I was still feeling nothing but an occassional contraction. At about 7 PM mild contractions were about 10 mins. apart here and there but nothing consistant. Of course me being me I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want a false alarm. I put Aidan to bed at his regular time and had a feeling I wouldn't be home when he got up in the AM. Finally my contractions became fairly regular but still not strong and only 10 mins. apart. The nurse at the hospital told us not to come in unless my water broke, I got stop in my tracks contractions or I was 5 mins. apart. Finally I was 5 mins apart I told Sean OK now I'm 5 mins apart. He suggested a shower or heading right in. I decided to wait and see if another one came in 5 mins and sure enough it did. We let Grandma know she was in charge and we Boldwere on our way out. Contractions started getting pretty intense on the way in as we hit EVERY red light and then they became 2 mins apart. We pulled up to the hospital and Sean wanted to drop me off at the door I told him he couldn't leave me so we parked the car at the wrong entrance. The main entrance closed at 9 and we were there at 9:40 so we started our walk to the emergency room entrance which makes perfect sense when your contractions are 2 mins apart. We stopped several times to deal with contractions including right outside the emergency room door. No one said a thing to us. Sean walks in with me at his side acting COMPLETELY CALM (notice this trend = bad plan) he tells them "my wife is in labor" the girl looks disinterested and points down the hall and says 4th floor. We find the elevator and ask someone else who tells us it's the 3rd floor. We make our way up there with several contractions. I walk into labor and delivery and say perfectly calm I am in labor was 5 mins apart now I'm 2. They look at me like OK lady go to room 4 we will be in when we get a chance. (they did not believe I was in labor) We get in there I get changed use the bathroom and look at Sean with panic and say someone needs to check me this kid is coming soon. He tells them they come in and I tell them all the things my doc tells me to tell them including I want an epidural. The nurse seems annoyed and says I have to do a lot of other things first and we don't have a doc here we have to call them. I'm thinking ok I got time right? They ask me about 3 times why I waited so long to come in. Then they checked me and I was at 8cm which means chances of an epidural are pretty much gone. They leave the room and less than 10 mins later I'm telling Sean to call them in because I think the baby is on it's way out, this was misconstrued when someone yelled "baby in the bed!" Sure enough I'm a ten and it's go time. I keep waiting for a doc to come in but nothing. When they said they had to call someone for my epidural they also meant someone to deliver my baby. This never happened; I ended up with a nurse delivering little Miss Riley. The nurses thought I was a riot and couldn't believe my calm. One nurse said she has been a nurse for 36 years and has never seen anyone so calm or quiet during labor especially in my situation. I figured panicing wouldn't get me anywhere but looking back it may have since one of the nurses later confessed that they didn't believe I was in labor and that is why everyone was taking their time. Oh yeah the docs both arrived about 10 minutes after she was but really who needs a doc
Riley Addison was born 19 July 2010 at 10:16 PM weighing in at 8 lbs. 1 oz 19.5 inches and healthy as can be. We spent the next several hours in labor and deliver where the nurses had to play catch up on paperwork etc. Finally around 1 AM we were ready to head to our room. The next morning we woke up and spoke to Aidan he seemed excited about his new sister and informed me he would be getting her a gift at the pet store before their visit. He arrived around 9 and was very excited to meet Riley. He also stopped by Kroger and got me some roses. Aidan was also greeted with a gift from his baby sister. He was pretty excited to get some new cars and a big brother book. Aidan and Grandma were both on their best behavior for the visit and spent a few hours with us before lunch and naptime. They came back for a second visit in the evening. Aidan can't stop talking about his baby sister Wiley (still working on our Rs) He loves to hold her and tell her it's OK when she cries. We are all happy to have a new addition to our family and can't wait for the many adventures that await.

Holding my baby girl for the first time :-)


Cuddling with Mommy
the offical weigh in 8 lbs 1 oz (the camera battery died after this pic)
She was very alert
Already Daddy's little girl


Riley's first bath...
Getting squeaky clean
The nurse did her hair
Dressed and ready to head to our room
I wanted to walk but they made me take a wheelchair
Relaxing in the AM
Aidan giving me some roses...he was so proud
Checking out Riley for the 1st time
Big brother gifts
Kisses
Diaper change I think I changed 1 our whole stay...Thanks Daddy
Grandma meets Riley
We always eat Cheerios in the AM
Go Sox!
Daddy and the kids



Got milk?
Riley spent 12 hours of day 2 under lights
Daddy spent most of Day 2 like this while Mommy got some rest
Aidan comes for a visit
Getting ready to go back under the lights...
The lights worked getting ready to head home...
Still waiting on the nurses to bring our discharge paperwork (Aidan picked out this otufit for his baby sister)
And we're off...this is right before they crash me into the door lol

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allie and Sean!!! I love this site and Riley's delivery story! Miss you and wish you both the best!

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent birth story . . . your calmness doesn't surprise me at all! Always a trooper :) I was actually relieved to here that you did give birth to Riley in the hospital because from your initial posts on facebook about no doctor and no epidural I was picturing Sean delivering the baby on the side of some country Georgia road ;-) Congrats and cherish every single second - we both know it goes WAY too fast!

    ReplyDelete