Aidan has also learned about what war is or has some idea now. I don't really know where he learned this but lately he has been talking about the bad Army and Daddy being in the good Army. I tell him Daddy is a good guy and we tend to move on. Today he kept going and asked if Daddy had to fight and if he was hitting the other kids daddy's that were in the bad Army. I have NO IDEA where he learned this and was taken off guard I wasn't sure how to answer so I told him Daddy mostly just helps people and if he has to fight he will fight. I don't want to scare him and I wish I knew where he was getting this information about war and how much to go into detail about it. I also don't know how to address Sept. 11th which is right around the corner I want him to know something about the day but once again don't want to scare him and it is such an emotional day that I don't even know if I can talk to him about it. So many thoughts running through my head right now about so many things I'm starting to go crazy not completely but maybe a little bit. Some times I just feel like I need a break or I'm going to scream but not necessarily from my children just everything in general. I can't wait for things to be back to normal again! I miss having my fun weekends with the whole family. I miss having dinner with an adult there is so much I miss.
On a positive note I had two people bless me with random acts of kindness this weekend. I received a card in the mail with a gift certificate to a local restaurant so I wouldn't have to cook one night. I also found a note written on a McDonald's napkin under my windshield wiper that said "Tell your solider thank you for their service! May they all come home safe and soon! God Bless you!" I was blown away but both acts of kindness.
I'm going to leave you with a few tips if you know of someone with a deployed spouse....
1. Don't just make them dinner or offer to make them dinner, have dinner with them. Don't get me wrong it is extremely nice to receive a dinner but the company would be just as welcome.
2. Weekends and night time are the hardest it gets very lonely here after 8 PM!
3. Don't hesitate to Thank a solider or their family it means a lot to them!
4. Most importantly don't forget we are at war still and there are a lot of people big and small effected by this war and we do it because WE LOVE THIS COUNTRY!
Thank you for sharing this post Allison (Quillfitz). I feel honored to be here for you, even if sporadically at best, and your tips were excellent to hear as sometimes it is best just to hear from you what YOU need and I know you will be the last person standing on this planet to straight up ask for what you need or want (that would be too easy ;-) I might not be living in the south until Sean is already home, so for now I will keep sending you things that can help you from afar . . . but the tip about the weekends and after 8 p.m. loneliness will not fall on closed ears from this girl, I promise. 4 months down may seem like nothing but chunk it into 3rds my friend and you are tackling this deployment down . . . ever close to halfway there!! Keep that head held up high and proudly and remember that asking one of your amazing Augusta friends for a little time to yourself, even an hour, does not mean you love your kids any less but means that you love yourself enough to realize that you need a tiny bit of pure and simple alone time. Love you fellow toolshedder for life, Melissa (Pink)
ReplyDelete