My week looked like it was going to be really uneventful with the exception of a tubes surgery for Riley on Tuesday. Monday I got a call that Aidan's surgery was approved (removal of adenoids and removal/replacement of his tube) on Weds. the week suddenly got busier. I knew what to expect for Riley so I wasn't too worried but it was still surgery. I had a lot of people volunteered to help me out in anyway and a two friends who told me they were watching the kids for me so I could take care of whoever was actually have surgery that day. Aidan went to a friend's house on Tuesday morning and was happy as can be while I took care of a less happy Riley. She did well with her surgery but the fasting was REALLY hard on both of us. She didn't get her surgery until about 9:15 and was at nearly the 12 hour mark since her last meal. Once she came out of surgery I nursed her and she was out for a nap. The rest of the day was smooth sailing.
Aidan's surgery was much earlier in the morning and friend came to pick up Riley around 5 AM before Aidan was up. He asked right away where his sister was and once I let him know she was in the care of Miss Megan he was ok to head to the hospital. He seemed very nervous/silly and overtired at the hospital. It was hard to try not to be on him too much because I know he just couldn't express his emotions but come on buddy act like you know how to behave :-) We ended up reading a new magazine which helped pass the time until they took him back for surgery. He suddenly become very nervous and clutched my leg saying "I want you to come with me" it was heart breaking but he had his Daddy doll and I felt that would comfort him. I told him you don't need me you have Daddy he'll take good care of you. He put his Daddy doll in his mouth because after all he is a dog and put his doggie blanket under his arm and was off to the OR. I was pretty nervous but knew he would be ok. I had read on line that the recovery from adenoid removal is pretty tough. He was back for about 45 minutes when the doc came out and told me everything went very well and that we made the right decision to take the adenoids which gave me relief if we were going to put him through so much pain. When Aidan woke up I wasn't with him but they brought him to me and he was in rough shape. I hated the sight of an IV in his hand. I pulled him from the nurses arms and tried to calm him. He was very disoriented and upset. I could tell he was in significant pain he just couldn't get comfortable. We were in a bay and every time he would fall asleep another child would be loud and wake him. They ended up discharging him rather quickly. When he did wake up he asked right away if we could get Riley it was pretty cute. He didn't talk much for the first several hours and wanted nothing to do with food. I took him home and we watched a movie when he finally asked for some ice cream. He showed some signs of life here and there but was really in a lot of pain. He is doing better now but still looks a mess. He has a stiff neck, constant uncontrollable drooling and drainage out of his nose like I have never seen before. I hope he starts feeling better soon.
Thursday my goal was to relax at home and not go to a doctor or hospital that plan didn't last long! I went to switch over some laundry as soon as we came down for the morning only to do something horrible to my back. I twisted and felt the worst pain I have ever felt! Yes worse than labor. I didn't think I could stand straight again and I had scared the children. Somehow I got to the couch and laid down....stupid plan I know. I asked Aidan to get my phone and computer so I could get help. He was very helpful and I called EVERYONE I knew to help me out. I may have even cried to Aidan about how I really needed Daddy which only served to scare him even more. He kept hugging me asking me if I was ok and trying to cheer me up it was pretty cute and heart breaking. I ended up getting a hold of a friend who came to my rescue and literally carried me out to her car so I could get to the hospital. She then took care of both of my kids for me. I'm not sure what I did to deserve such great friends.
I never finished this one but here is the post I started after our hell week the last week of June.
ReplyDelete