Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Daddy deploys...

I'm back...It's been a long time since I have worked on my blog and a lot has happened. Sean has finally deployed and we miss him more than I could ever write here. My first intentions with this blog were to tell more of a story with our pictures and have something to look back on for memories but I maybe changing the focus a bit. I think I need somewhere to get out all the emotions that come with a deployment so if you want to come along for the ride here we go.

We got the word that Sean would be deploying last October and thought he would be heading out in July but the date kept changing and finally ended up on 30 April that's right boys and girls 2 days before my 30th birthday. The ups and downs of the deployment start right in that pre-deployment phase it's hanging over you! When we got the news it felt like a huge slap in the face as if he just returned. We started going into the planning phase because that is how I deal with things. Daddy dolls were purchased and research was done. I feel like we did a nice job preparing as much as we could. That being said the last week before he left was hell. He didn't want to pack I wanted him to pack because I'm a planner and we wanted as much time as possible as a family. There were many moments when one of us (usually me) would cry during regular activities. We made it through and spent a lot of time just a family and trying to be strong for the kids.

The morning of April 30th came and it was like walking to the electric chair we woke up and were all business while trying to keep it all together. We had to wake the kids to head to the airport to say good bye to Daddy. I debated bringing my camera because it really was a sad time and to me very personal but I went ahead and brought it. I got some good pictures to help us remember that day and will share them with you in this blog. Saving goodbye was terrible Aidan handled it well I was a train wreck but he would look at me and say "Mommy why are you crying?" I told him "because Mommy is sad" he gave me the biggest hugs a boy his size could give. I knew we would be ok but man it hurt. Sean told me the same thing he told me the first time he deployed "It wouldn't hurt this bad if we weren't going to be ok" That first day was tough I felt as if I was in a fog. I would go from faking it and doing ok to complete shambles. We left the airport after watching the plane fly all the way across the sky per Aidan's request and headed for the park. I kept it together the whole time we were there to go home for lunch and nap where I sat by myself and called my parents crying hysterically. I ended up having one of the longest phone conversations with my parents ever but it really helped. When the kids woke up I felt better and able to get through the day some how. We ended up going to our friends house for dinner and that was what we needed to survived day 1.

I feel like I am rambling more than usual sorry I just have 2 weeks worth of ups and days running through my head and this is my blog so deal. We have been doing better than expected and that is in huge part to the support system we have here in Augusta. Friends have watched my kids more than anyone has ever watched my kids. We have been invited to dinner, I get to play soccer, and I even had a surprise birthday party. I know why we chose to stay here this time because I am surrounded by great friends. Thank you to everyone that has been here for us so far on this journey. I am also so thankful for my family who calls to check on me a little more often than usual I am onto you guys but it doesn't go unnoticed. Also my friends who happen to be on facebook just a little bit more than they used to, yes I'm an addict but it helps me stay connected to friends near and far and makes the quiet night seems not so quiet anymore. We will get through this damn deployment and i will feel stronger on the other end. I am going to say it in advance thanks to all that get me through this time. The Fitzgibbon Family with Thrive not just Survive this deployment!


One last pic in front of the house for a while...
Roo loves to use her Daddy doll as a foot rest!
Aidan showing Riley the proper way to hug your Daddy doll if you miss him.
My boys they are both so strong.
Daddy's little girl
I love that they did this on their own!

Reality setting in...
Goodbye!
The watched the plane load and then taxi before flying all the way across the sky!

1 comment:

  1. Thriving not just surviving . . . you and your children are living that motto to the best of your abilit every moment of every day right now. Thank you for releasing your ups and downs on this blog and for being candid enough to share. I don't feel even one iota competent enough at being able to be "there" "here" wherever for you during Sean's deployment but I want you to know that from the bottom of my heart I am going to try my hardest. The more you hold your emotions in the more pain they will cause, so please keep letting them out. I hope to see you in Massachusetts in 2 months friend. Keep it real, keep it fun, keep it real fun and rely on the fact that real fun makes time pass real quickly.
    Love,
    Melissa Ann Impink Wells

    ReplyDelete